[c-nsp] best fault management solutions?

Gregori Parker Gregori.Parker at theplatform.com
Thu Aug 21 13:29:00 EDT 2008

I've had it with Ciscoworks.

I'm not new to getting LMS working properly, I'm just tired of lowering
my expectations.  Device discovery is hit and miss, new versions seem
progressively worse, and the whole product is about as ergonomic as a
pile of broken glass.  I've stripped it down to just common services and
DFM, but there just isn't enough value there relative to resources.

So, I'm looking for DFM-like replacement recommendations - I currently
have configuration and performance management covered by rancid, cacti,
syslog-ng and a few other open source tools; and I have netflow taken
care of - I'm just having trouble finding a good solution for device
fault management (i.e. temp, fan, interface errors, queues, broadcast
rate, bgp neighbor state changes, etc) for a mostly-Cisco environment.
I need something with a little bit of intelligence, not just a simple
trap forwarder.  Have already evaluated Orion, but it has too many
extras that I don't need (i.e. netflow, traffic graphs, configs, et al
are already handled) and not enough of what I do need (device awareness,
alerting).  Not concerned with cost and platform, thanks in advance.

- Gregori