[c-nsp] ACE Regex filtering for url match trouble with %

Ben Steele ben.steele at internode.on.net
Mon Aug 25 20:24:55 EDT 2008

Apologies but both my emails yesterday were via a webmail client that kept
deleting special characters, including \'s

I did get this to work by \'ing a " " rather than \'ing %

So the string that worked for me was: ".*select\ .*" to achieve filtering of
select%20 in a url.

On a side note I still had to log a TAC as I have an unusual issue where if
a "?" is in the url before the match it will let the url slip through,
however if it is after the match it will still catch it.

Ie www.bla.com/test?=select%20.asp will make it through,
www.bla.com/test=select%20bla?.asp will get caught.

And on top of that there is reaaaaaaallly poor use of regexp memory when
using a prefixed wildcard on your regex ".*", it causes regexp memory to
fill up with only 5 regex's and the 6th one will blow the 1MB regexp over
the limit and start blocking everything, not ideal behaviour!

Cheers

Ben