[c-nsp] Few questions regarding fixed vs modular and when which is better.

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Aug 29 07:28:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:45:43AM +0100, Dean Smith wrote:
> Surely 2 basic Switches - With Servers dual homed across giving you
> independent uplinks to the core, dual control planes and dual power etc
> gives far better resilience at the price point than a simple switch with an
> extra PSU ?

Sometimes this can be done, sometimes not, depending on the customer and
server setup.

Just telling people "well, get an extra switch and install lots of extra
cabling to get power redundancy" is not exactly what people want to hear.

We've been through lots of planned and unplanned power issues in the
last year - and especially the planned stuff ("replace USV and power
distribution switch") is *very* much less painful with dual PSUs in
every (critical) component.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de