[c-nsp] New IPv6 BGP peer on a pure IPv4 network

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Tue Dec 2 07:17:59 EST 2008

Well, when you say it,  it sounds very simple, the problem is I don't really know the subneting stuff for IPv6, for example.
We don't use any of the IGP you've mentioned in our IPv4 setup, we only have some iBGP  peers between our routers.
Do we HAVE to use OSPF, ISIS or EIGRP or we can still use only iBGP on IPv6 when needed? Remember I'm not moving the whole network to v6, only additional to the current v4.
Let's say I have a circuit connection to one uplink provider and I have a BGP peering between both sides on IPv4 /32 addresses, you suggest that I ask the provider to move to IPv6, what happens then to the whole IPv4 addresses? What happens to other devices that know this IPv4 address and won't know the new IPv6 address? What about the loopback IPs that are used for other peering and stuff?
Is there a way to transfer IPv4 traffic through an IPv6 BGP and vice versa?

Thanks,
Ziv