[c-nsp] Using generic Compact Flash in Cisco Routers...

Janet Plato techgrrl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 16:22:51 EST 2008

It's not a generic yes/no, it depends on the model of the
router/switch, the type of flash memory and the boot helper, ROMMON or
ATA monlib if used.  If you literally mean compact flash (not flash in
general), I think it just works, but I'd still read the release notes
for the platform and IOS version, since there may be size limitations,
limitations of which technology family and issues with the boot loader
on platforms that use boot helpers.  For 7200s I have had problems
with certain boot helpers not recognizing ATA style flash as opposed
to the older flash, and on 6500s I've had problems with size
limitations in older software.

The answer may be cut and dried today, but I'd read and test before
spending a lot of money,

Janet Plato