[c-nsp] Adding connected routes in a VRF

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Mon Dec 8 18:59:17 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 04:47:26PM -0500, David Coulson wrote:
> I always hate this sort of configuration...
>
> Why not just assign Gi1/2 a secondary address from your 192.168 subnet
> and make life simple? :)

In an ideal world, I agree.  But suppose you can't because a legacy
architechture that you're migrating from has that /24 full of
customer-facing addresses?

Or suppose you use GLBP and need to add an n+1 th router to the
forwarding path and there's no free addressing left (see above
constraint).  This feature lets you stack a few cheaper boxes up until
you get budget cleared for an upgrade.

As was said elsewhere in the thread, it's not really pretty, but it
can be quite useful.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie