[c-nsp] 3550 policy routing

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Dec 10 14:51:26 EST 2008

I may have a near future need to do [some more] policy routing on a 3550
and found
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a00802135d3.shtml

The 3550 in question is already doing policy routing of locally generated
traffic using "ip local policy route-map LocalPolicy", and this did not
require changing from the default sdm template.  LocalPolicy sets ip
next-hop based on the packet's source IP address.

My questions are,

Under recent 12.2 software, will the extended-match sdm template really be
required when policy routing routed traffic?

>From the above mentioned page, it sounds like even when policy routing,
the routing is done in hardware...so is it safe to assume a 3550 can
policy route line rate traffic (or at least several hundred mbit/s)?