[c-nsp] High SNMP CPU with SXH. Is SXI any better?

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Fri Dec 12 10:55:03 EST 2008

	We are running 12.2SXH2a on sup720-CXL and have been having
consistently high (80-100%) CPU on route processor when retrieving
either the ARP table or the Bridge-mac table.   No matter what program
we use HP NNM or an snmp script, the CPU route process goes from 20%
to 90+% with the SNMP process being the top dog when you do a "sho
proc cpu sort".

I have looked at every option on list and at CISCO but nothing
resolves the problem.   It appears that internally the route processor
is doing a lot of crunching to get this table data, specifically the
ARP and Bridge Mac table.   I remember something about the format it's
in and it had to be converted when retrieved with SNMP.

Q.   Does anybody know if there is any change with SXI and SNMP queries?

I also remember reading something about a different way to retrieve
this data locally on the router and push it to a host, but cannot find
any reference to it now.  Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems
Princeton University