[c-nsp] Cisco 7206 - High CPU Utilization

E. Versaevel erik at infopact.nl
Wed Dec 17 03:21:39 EST 2008

Hi Spencer,

All encryption is done in software on the CPU (no dedicated encryption hardware) unless you have a special module for that.
You config isn't exactly minimal (ie, gathering flow statistics & NAT also eats CPU), also notice that you are referring to 5 minute averages on the
bandwidth, try setting load-interval 30 on the fast Ethernet interface to gather some more realistic values.

I've managed to get a 7206 VXR on it's knees while doing ip fragmemtation on a 6 mbit tunnel :) so take a look at `show ip traffic`

You are talking about disabling the VPN connection, are you only routing traffic at that point or are you still using some form of tunneling? (gre/ipip)

Kind regards,

Erik