[c-nsp] Sharing HSRP group numbers across multiple HSRP instances

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Mon Dec 22 14:46:40 EST 2008

Justin,

The group number sets the virtual MAC address assigned to that group.
If you have some transparent L2 infrastructure (such as a VPLS domain
you try to transit) this could cause issues, and using different groups
per different VLANs is critical. In most other cases there is no need to
change group numbers between VLANs.

Take a look here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/command/reference/iap_s2.html#
wp1073440

Another point is that you can use HSRPv2, which extends the group number
to 4096:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/command/reference/iap_s3.html#
wp1063204

Arie