[c-nsp] Cisco 2950 oddities with MDI-X and unicast flooding

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Dec 23 09:25:26 EST 2008

I had a case of unicast flooding that started Thursday morning and all the
technotes I was reading weren't helping me.  Since the Cisco 2950T-24 was up
for over two years and running 12.1(22)EA2, I thought I would upgrade it to
12.1(22)EA11 to match all my other 2950s and reboot.

The upgrade resolved the unicast flooding (can anyone explain how/why that
should be?) but I lost my inter-office transport link on the Fa0/1 (10/100).
The switch said "down" and the transport gear said "down".  Very strange.
Seeing that other switches into this transport gear had cross-over cables, I
snapped in a cross-over cable and voila, the link went up.  Anyone see that
before?

Frank