[c-nsp] OSPF router gets separated from a broadcast domain

Gabor Ivanszky ivanszky at niif.hu
Mon Feb 4 08:05:17 EST 2008

Peter Rathlev wrote:
>  When
> the Dead Interval expires, it will think of the neighbor as down and
> invalidate all routes learned from it. Only the still connected network
> is left and announced, but since there are no other OSPF routers on that
> segment (seen from each of the two) no paths are learned through this
> segment.

I thought just the same before we get burnt by this issue. So I am
afraid this doesn't work like this(but I am far from to be sure...)

Router A
- has "customer" network x.x.x.0 as connected
- connected to transit network t.t.t.0 with address t.t.t.a
- loopback: a.a.a.a

Router B
- connected to backbone
- connected to transit network t.t.t.0 with address t.t.t.b
          assume that we have a connection problem here, so t.t.t.b is
up, but cannot reach t.t.t.c and t.t.t.a
- loopback: b.b.b.b

Router C
- connected to backbone
- connected to transit network t.t.t.0 with address t.t.t.c
- loopback: c.c.c.c

Now Router B receives a packet with a destination address x.x.x.x. It
makes the routing decision based on it's LSDB, which will be something
like this:
1. x.x.x.0 is connected to router a.a.a.a
2. router a.a.a.a has an interface in network t.t.t.0, namely t.t.t.a
3. I (Router B) have also an interface in t.t.t.0: "Hurray, we have a
path!"; BTW.   I (Router B) know, that Router C also has an interface in
t.t.t.0, so if I (Router B) have my t.t.t.b interface down, I would
route toward c.c.c.c. But "luckily", this is not the case this time.
4. Router B starts to ARP t.t.t.a without any success and drops the packet.

The routing decision on all routers will be similar in the same OSPF area.

I don't know whether it happens like I described above, but I am keen to
get to know it.

cheers,
Gabor