[c-nsp] USB to serial converter

Daniel Hooper dhooper at emerge.net.au
Mon Feb 4 09:23:10 EST 2008

________________________________

From: Tim Franklin [mailto:tim at pelican.org]
Sent: Mon 2/4/2008 8:10 PM
To: Daniel Hooper
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] USB to serial converter

On Mon, February 4, 2008 7:59 am, Daniel Hooper wrote:

> Maybe just a local Ethernet port which has a hard coded IP address on it
> that cannot be modified? Or an lcd display on your router/switch that
> allows configuration of an ip address to manage the device?

Which I can connect to via an inexpensive analogue modem from thousands of
miles away, right?

DSL was looking like it might be the solution to this sort of OOB problem,
but it's still more expensive than a POTS line, and increasingly
dirt-cheap providers are stopping you from making inbound connections,
meaning you have to pay premium for 'business' DSL.

Regards,
Tim.

A cheap analogue modem router will do the trick to maintain PSTN connectivity to an ethernet enabled management port.

Maybe if DSL is no good how about 3G/gprs gateways?