[c-nsp] USB to serial converter

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Feb 4 09:43:16 EST 2008

Forgive me for hijacking the thread but it's a related topic.

Does anyone have any positive experiences with Bluetooth console
adapters?  They could easily eliminate most of the serial port woes.  I
bought a BlueConsole adapter well over a year ago but due to Microsoft
screwing up XP's Bluetooth stack I could never get it to work.  My new
laptop with builtin Bluetooth can see the adapter and connect but I
never get any output (nor does the device appear to be getting any of my
input).  I haven't heard back from BlueConsole support.  Perhaps their
new model will work better (or maybe I have a dud) but

I carry around a cable I bought at RadioShack many years ago.  It
appears to have the Prolific chipset.  It works fine, though it did take
a while to figure that it used a different COM port for each of the 4
USB interfaces in my laptop.  I had to create SecureCRT profiles for
each of my physical interfaces (Left top/bottom, Rear top/bottom).

Does anyone have any product recommendations or warnings?  Off-list

Justin