[c-nsp] Help getting started

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Mon Feb 4 10:14:36 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008, Casey Mills wrote:
>   I am new to Cisco and trying to get started.  I have a 2611 router
> with a couple ethernet ports to get started.  I would like to set it
> up for home use.  DHCP client on one port, DHCP server on the other,
> and NATing.  Can someone point me to a website or send me a config.

G'day, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wouting.

>   I would eventually like to have this router run a VPN so I can
> remotely access my home network.  Is this router capable of doing
> that?  I have 12.2 IOS on it.

Dunno about VPN - that depends on the image. DHCP server? Sure.
NAT? Sure. DHCP client? Never done it, but if you delete the
default route and go

int ethx/y
  ip address dhcp

Then it may work!

You should start by at least browsing the 26xx IOS 12.2 documentation
on the Cisco website. GOing via google and help forums is another way,
but you probably won't learn much.

Adrian