[c-nsp] EoMPLS between 7600 & 7200 config clarification

Jose lobo at allstream.net
Tue Feb 5 11:16:22 EST 2008

Hi everyone.  I'm doing some preliminary testing in our lab in order to
deploy EoMPLS on our ethernet network but I've run into a little bit of
a snag and was wondering if anyone could clarify something for me.

The setup I have is 3550---7603-SUP32---7204VXR---3550

I have VLAN 800 setup to cross from one 3550 to the other.  The relevant
portions of the config are as follows:

7603:
interface GigabitEthernet2/2
 description to 3550
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 800
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address
 load-interval 30
!
interface Vlan800
 xconnect 10.0.1.4 800 encapsulation mpls
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
 description 7603 to 7204
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 220
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address
 load-interval 30
!
interface Vlan220
 ip address 10.0.0.18 255.255.255.252
 load-interval 30
 tag-switching mtu 1520
 tag-switching ip
!

7204VXR:
interface FastEthernet1/0.220
 encapsulation dot1Q 220
 ip address 10.0.0.17 255.255.255.252
 ip ospf cost 40
 tag-switching mtu 1520
 tag-switching ip
!
interface FastEthernet3/0.800
 encapsulation dot1Q 800
 xconnect 10.0.1.1 800 encapsulation mpls
!

Now when I do a "show mpls l2 vc" I can see the circuit up from the 7204
side but down from the 7603 side.  I think I have everything setup
properly but can't figure out why it wouldn't work.

If I change things around a bit and reconfigure the 7603 to use
sub-interfaces with dot1q instead of vlan interfaces like this:

interface GigabitEthernet2/2.800
 encapsulation dot1Q 800
 xconnect 10.0.1.4 800 encapsulation mpls
!

The circuit is up from both ends and pings from/to each 3550 are successful:

frort01-lab#sh mpls l2 vc

Local intf     Local circuit        Dest address    VC ID      Status
Gi2/2.800      Eth VLAN 800         10.0.1.4        800        UP
7603-lab#

Is this the only way to get EoMPLS to work between these two devices?
I'm sure I've seen the xconnect command used on VLAN interfaces before
and it has worked fine.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks.

Jose