[c-nsp] Router or Layer3 Switch

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.nl
Tue Feb 5 16:31:35 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 15:47 -0600, Duracom Lists wrote:
> Arie thanks for the information.  I have another thing before I make a
> decision.  I have my network setup as follows:
>

> 7206VXR
> Int f0/0 has several (50 or so) /28 subnets
>
> F0/0 <--------> 2950 port 1
>

> Now if I had a L3 Switch (in place of the 2950) can an interface on an L3
> switch have multiple subnets?  If I put a router in place of the 2950 switch
> I could easily define multiple subnets per Interface like I do on my edge
> router. I am just trying to look for the best way to do this since I have
> never dealt with any L3 switches.

Why don't you just put every port on the 2950 in a different VLAN
("switchport access vlan X"), then make the connection between the 7206
and the 2950 a dot1q trunk. Then just create a subinterface on the 7200
for each vlan, like

interface FastEthernet0/0.101
  encapsulation dot1q 101
  ip address ....
!
... etc

Hint. Avoid VLAN1. For the 2950, use e.g. VLAN101 - VLAN124 for ports
1-24.

Mike.