[c-nsp] EoMPLS between 7600 & 7200 config clarification

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Feb 6 04:18:09 EST 2008

Hi Jose,

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 20:44 -0500, Jose wrote:
> Peter Rathlev wrote:
> > Port mode (physical<->physical) works on 6500 SXF, not 7600 SXF (or
> > 12.2SR at all?) according to FN. Very strange, but one of the few
> > feature differences between 6500 and 7600 on SXF.
>
> I'm familiar with sub-interface and SVI based EoMPLS but what is port mode?

EoMPLS Port Mode uses a physical interface to transport "raw" Ethernet
frames, not just a single VLAN, which means you can run trunks through
it. We use it as a cheap way of having local switching using LAN cards.

For 12.2SR the reference is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_configuration_g
uide_chapter09186a0080699477.html
(http://tinyurl.com/yqtlxt)

It's the same for 12.2SX by the way.

> > First side note: EoMPLS Port Mode is really sweet, transparent to CDP,
> > STP and even UDLD. :-)
>
> Sounds pretty good.  Any caveats do running it though?

We haven't found any yet. Of course you use 8 bytes extra for the two
labels (directed LDP and VC), but other than that, nothing. :-)

Regards,
Peter