[c-nsp] VLAN tagging on the 2960

Kiecker, Alan W Alan.Kiecker at UNISYS.com
Thu Feb 7 12:20:52 EST 2008

I need to set up ports on a 2960-24TC-L so that outbound ports retain
the VLAN tag.

I have configured the ports as trunks with VLAN IDs 7 and 13.  The
native VLAN is 13.  This should tag any inbound untagged packets with
VLAN 13.  This is what I want, but outbound packets are a different
story.

The command reference states in the Usage Guidelines for the "switchport
trunk" command that "If a packet has a VLAN ID that is the same as the
sending-port native VLAN ID, the packet is sent without a tag;
otherwise, the switch sends the packet with a tag."

My interpretation of this is that outbound packets with VLAN ID 7 will
be sent with the tag, but packets with VLAN ID 13 will be sent without
the tag.

Is there anyway to not have this tag removed?

In case it is of any use these are the commands that I am using:

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
switchport trunk native vlan 13