[c-nsp] 7600 DFC upgrade time ?

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 07:04:21 EST 2008

Hi all,

Im running a single SUP720-3BXL in a 7606 chassis with 2 x 6748-GT-TX which
dont have DFCs installed.

I understand that without DFC, forwarding decisions are done by the PFC with
a system capacity of 30 Mpps, which will increase to 48Mpps per slot with
DFCs

PFC bus utilisation from 'sh catalyst6000 traffic-meter' on my box shows me
8%, presumably 8% utilisation of my 30Mpps. But im guessing the 30Mpps is
based on lab conditions with 64 byte packets right ?

So what a fair measure for real world PFC utilisation with internet transit
traffic, (which is of course not exclusively 64 byte), which can be used to
indicate thats its time to look at DFCs ?

Thanks,

anton