[c-nsp] Tunnels on RSP720 / SRC

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Mon Feb 11 01:42:48 EST 2008

Hi All,

While I will be logging a tac case for this later today (had some
problems doing so yesterday), I wanted to know if anyone else had
noticed the following behavior:

I have a 7600 with dual RSP720 sups, running IOS SRC.  On the 7600 I
have a tunnel interface (gre, though I tried IPIP as well).  Across that
tunnel I have a full bgp feed.

 From the local router, I can ping the other end of the tunnel, no
problems, however, the moment I try and actually route traffic through
it, nothing flows.

After much playing around I discovered that IF you have an ACL on the
tunnel interface, that permits all it does pass traffic, however, it
*HAS* to be a logging access list.  If you dont have the log option in
there, still no traffic.

This to me suggests that hardware forwarding is broken (I assume the log
option causes punting to the CPU which allows the traffic to flow).

I also attempted to disable ip-route cache on the tunnel interface, but
it didnt help (infact, no ip-route cache cef told me I couldnt do that
on the platform)

Anyone else seen similar and have any other suggestions while I wait for
TAC?  I'm currently redirecting my log files to /dev/null as a permit
any log file on a tunnel running well over 100mbit produces a LOT of logs!

Thanks

Andrew Alston
TENET - Chief Technology Officer