[c-nsp] Cisco ME-3400 and queue drops after IOS upgrade

Ivan Gasparik ivan at ig.sk
Tue Feb 12 08:52:02 EST 2008

FE ports of ME3400 with default configuration have output queue
limited to 48 packets. It's not enough for burstable traffic,
especially when the uplink of your ME3400 runs at 1Gb/s.
If you don't need any QoS, just attach a service-policy like:

policy-map max-queue
  class class-default
    queue-limit 544

to FE port (outbound direction).
QoS on ME3400 works, you can use hierarchical policy-map with
traffic-shape at parent level and strict priority for VoIP data at
child level. My experiences with this plattform showed a lot of
limitations of QoS features, but in simple setup, when you don't need
huge queues or many different classes it works well.

Ivan