[c-nsp] 32 bits ASN on Cisco 6500 & 7600 platform

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 13 02:35:55 EST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:24:28PM +0100, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> >> Support in both platforms is expected by end of this year.
> >> Other platforms may have it before that.
> >
> > I have been led to believe that the Sup2/MSFC2 (no matter what platform)
> > will *not* get 32-bit ASN support?
>
> Sup2 is already EoS. Why it should?
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd80646c9c.html

It's end of *sale*.  It's not end of *life*.  Maintenance contracts can
be had until 2012.

So I'd expect customers to be quite unhappy if they have to replace a
perfectly working machine that still has full software and hardware support
on it just to get a feature that's not hardware-dependent at all.

(I can't comment on the actual truth of that rumor - but from past
experience with other Cisco platforms, I would not be very much surprised
if would turn out true)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de