[c-nsp] Top 10 Network Engineering Tools

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Feb 13 18:17:46 EST 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> On 2/12/08, Michael K. Smith - Adhost <mksmith at adhost.com> wrote:
>> I can't believe no one has said "Flashlight"
>
> Definitely nice to have, but if I could *only* bring 10 items, I don't
> think that a flashlight wouldn't be on the list.  If all else failed,
> laptop screens give off a surprising amount of light.  Of course, if I
> had a different job I might have a different answer.

I should do a USB Serial converter roundup.  I bought several different
brands recently (all PL2303's AFAIK), and one of them actually has an LED
built into the DB9 end.  This LED is ridiculously bright...like painful to
look directly into.  I suppose it was intended to indicate whether the
cable was connected and had USB power...but I don't know who thought such
a bright LED was a good idea.  It could probably be used as a short range
flashlight.  Other than that, I really like that cable...as the actual
cable part is only a few inches long...so it's the most compact of the
bunch.  Perfect for the EeePC.