[c-nsp] SNMP traffic monitoring / alerting

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Thu Feb 14 03:35:55 EST 2008

Aaron R wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>

> Has anyone come across a good app (open source or not) that will monitor the
> amount of traffic flowing in/out a particular interface and alert you once a
> certain threshold has been reached? Alerting via email would be preferable.
> I don't really have the time to invest in writing a script in perl as I can
> see there will be headaches with keeping track of the interface counter
> resets.

Are you looking for flow *rate* (bits/sec) or total bytes transferred to
alert on? It's not clear from your replies - you seem to be concerned
about the size of SNMP counters which implies it's the total you a re
looking for.

Cacti (with it's plugin architecture and the Threshold plugin) will do
this for you. If you need to alarm on total transferred, then you might
need to make a new data source in Cacti - I've never wanted that
particular alarm. See http://www.cacti.net/
It also does a *lot* more, so possibly is too much.

Howie