[c-nsp] EIGRP redistribution between 2 VRFs

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Feb 15 08:46:00 EST 2008

Michael Lyngbøl wrote:
> On 14.02.2008 16:06:03 -0500, Luan Nguyen wrote:
>
>> Say i have VRF RED one one of the interface, and VRF BLUE on another
>> interface.  And i need to run EIGRP on both of them.  They have their own
>> ASN and don't want to change them.  How do i send routes learned from RED
>> into BLUE and vice versa?

> Import the proper route-targets in VRF RED and VRF BLUE.
> You can also just import+export from/to one of the VRFs. Might need to
> attach import/export maps to filter which routes you'd like to
> import/export.

That's the general idea, but it's not quite that simple (I wish it
was!).   Or at least I could not get it to actually work with
import/export alone.

You must run iBGP for the import/export to actually work (at least on
Catalyst hardware as CE/PE, IOS 12.2) and have iBGP redistributing your
EIGRP instances, e.g.:

> router bgp 99999
>  !
>  address-family ipv4
>  redistribute connected
>  exit-address-family
>  !
>  address-family ipv4 vrf RED
>  redistribute connected
>  redistribute eigrp [reds-ASN]
>  exit-address-family
>  !
>  address-family ipv4 vrf BLUE
>  redistribute connected
>  redistribute eigrp [blues-ASN]
>  exit-address-family

If you subsequently want your red/blue EIGRP's to redistribute their
respective imported routes further, you'll need to redistribute BGP
within the EIGRP instances as well.

Of course if all this "extra stuff" is NOT needed, I'd love to hear
about it.  It took the import/export plus mutual redistribution in my
case to get it to work as desired, and I ran out of patience before
trying to selective remove bits here and there to see which ones were
NOT part of the solution.

Jeff