[c-nsp] Need guidance on NetFlow

Steve Pfister pfisterfarm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 14:33:50 EST 2008

I've been given the task of evaluating Solarwinds Orion, a network managment
tool which was purchased some time before I began working here. Part of that
suite is a NetFlow traffic analysis tool.

I'm trying to get some guidance on how best to enable NetFlow in our
production network. Our core and distribution layers are mostly 4510R, 8510,
4506, and 4507 switches and 3640, 7204vxr and 7206vxr routers. The access
switches are 3500 and 2900 for the most part and I know that those don't
support NetFlow.

- What's the best source of information on what's needed to enable NetFlow
on all these devices? I've been doing some searching and I've found bits and
pieces of info, some of which seems to conflict with each other.
- Is there some guidance on what to plan for as far as bandwidth and storage
for the collector?
- The NetFlow tool I'm looking at expects NetFlow v5. If I use Sampled
NetFlow, will that be worthwhile?
Thanks!