[c-nsp] mls netflow && ip flow egress?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 11:13:10 EST 2008

Pavel Kuzin wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I have 6506 with sup720-3bxl box.
> I trying to use accounting with netflow.
> When mls is enabled, the box is exporting all flows, that routed in.
> But i need only 2 interfaces enabled in export flows.
>
> I`v tryed to disable mls switching, and then it works ok, but cpu usage of RP is up and more 30 % on 100 Mbit/s flow :-(

Don't do that. The 6500 is a hardware platform, and the mantra is "if
it's not supported in hardware, it's not supported".

> Anybody knows, how i can use mls, and export accounting data from 2 interfaces (ingress and egress) ?

Can't be done at the moment, I believe.

I seem to recall seeing a presentation from Cisco about egress netflow
on the 6500, but that may have been a reference to (speculative) future
supervisor hardware.

The best you can do at the moment is probably export all flows and
filter in ifIndex at the collector. On reasonable[1] enterprise[2]
traffic levels, that should not adversely affect the 6500 or netflow
collector.

In 12.2(33)SXH you can selectively enable *ingress* netflow, which may
help you to reduce the flow volume. However I seem to recall it still
collects the flows. Actual disabling of collection is schedules for the
SXI release IIRC. That's probably released sometime in Space Year 2086...

[1] I realise what is reasonable may differ from person to person!
[2] Since you If you have -xl hardware, it should cope pretty well