[c-nsp] AS5300 RAM

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Feb 18 11:47:17 EST 2008

Does anyone know if there's a certain ROM version or jumper setting that
required to support more than 32MB of RAM in an AS5300?  I've tried
upgrading one of our old 5300s to 128MBs twice now.  The first RAM
supplier was a questionable source.  The second vendor was a little more
well-known but also known for being questionable for over-clocking high
performance RAM to resell to gamers.  RAM for the EoLed 5300s is hard to
find at a reasonable price so you pretty much have to take what you can
find.  Both times the 5300 thought it only had 32MB of RAM in it.  I saw
a wire frame drawing on Cisco's site last week that pointed on the
location of 2 RAM slots on the main PCB.  It also showed 2 sets of
jumpers but it didn't talk about the jumpers at all (I mean literally
they said nothing about them even though the showed them on the drawing
and IIRC zoomed in on their positions).

So, is there some trick to getting 128MB support in an AS5300?  I have 3
other 5300s but I can't take them out of service and disassemble them to
check their jumper positions or test the new 2x 64MB RAM sticks in one
that already has 128MB running in it successfully.

Thanks
  Justin