[c-nsp] [2nd Try] Decent Network Documentation and Topology

neal rauhauser nrauhauser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:33:08 EST 2008

    I would say the first step is determining who the target audience is for
the documentation - what are the business drivers behind it?

  I've got a customer who happily pays for me to drawn pictures, comment up
configs, label cables, write maintenance procedures intended to cover them
if something should happen to me, develop test plans which are then
executed, and I'm responsible for maintaining all of this in a sensible form
that we revisit every time there is a major change. Oh, yes, they've got hot
spares, spare parts, and if something has issues that we can't fix they
promptly buy three of whatever it was we found we were lacking.

   The other end of this spectrum is definitely the antithesis - I've walked
into a room in a carrier hotel where I had to spend two days with a broom,
dust pan, and storage boxes just to excavate the place to the point where I
could sit down without cringing. Needless to say, no documentation at all,
slop bucket configurations with lots of dead ends, some of which caused
operational oddities, weird old code on key machines acting up, no spares,
no cable labels, no cable management, and in general it was a study in how
NOT to run a network. This one I walked out on halfway through the job due
to the inside of the owner's head pretty much matching the overall condition
of the network. I bet if you looked at it today you'd find in the configs
ports with a description that ends in a date and my initials ... with
nothing at all attached to them any more.

  Your customer is somewhere on this spectrum, probably closer to the clean
& neat side, and this is where you start. Are you documenting because the
existing engineers are just too busy to do it, so management has stepped in?
Is the goal supporting more than one knowledgeable person, or is this
documentation a failsafe in case the keeper of clue gets hit by a beer
truck? The point here is that there is a balance. I've shook my head and
walked away at times, knowing a customer had exposure and the insides of my
head where the only repository for why things are the way they are, and I've
purchased and laid a copy of this or that Cisco Press book on someone's desk
handled with staff development.

   Your mileage may vary ... but casting a wide net like that here will get
you responses from those who are more compulsive about their recording
keeping :-) Specify a bit more about the size and culture of the environment
and you'll get more specific answers.