[c-nsp] DFC-3BXL vs DFC-3CXL

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Feb 22 08:28:23 EST 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, Dirk-Jan van Helmond wrote:

> The 3CXL will work with a Sup720/3BXL, but will
> (ofcourse) operate in 3BXL mode. no disadvantage (except
> financially).

Actually, the price of a DFC-3BXL and DFC-3CXL is exactly
the same. We bought a couple for our 6500/SUP720-3BXL's
(not that we'll gain much from them, but then again, 96,000
MAC addresses is a lot more than we intend to hold at this
time, e.t.c.).

If it's any consolation, I suppose the benefit with using a
DFC-3CXL card in a SUP720-3BXL-driven switch means you can
re-use the WS-X67xx line card the DFC-3CXL is accelerating
in a *-3CXL-driven router, e.g., the 7600, or when you
upgrade your 6500's switch fabric to a SUP720-3CXL.

Cheers,

Mark.