[c-nsp] full routing table

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri Feb 22 11:50:02 EST 2008

> For lower-end platforms like ISRs, You could go with 384MB. However
> 512MB is really recommended for things like soft-reconfig/etc.
>
> For higher-end platforms, the platform itself won't propably just
> "do full BGP" so Your mileage may vary wildly.
>
> Think "512MB or more" for safe sleep.

I think what he means is that the higher-end, ASIC-based routing, you
need to make sure you have aligned the amount of RAM on distributed
routing boards with the requirements of the table -- its no longer as
simple as upgrading the ram on the main board and you're done.

I think the point is that barring platforms that have run out of ASIC
space (720-3B, etc) you *still* need to make sure each distributed board
in a distributed routing platform have enough capacity. [But they are
only storing the FIB, not the entire RIB].

So yes, "512MB or more" is good for safe sleep. At this stage, you might
as well max out the ram on a platform that will be in place for 2+
years. IPv6 will help eat up that ram quickly.

DJ