[c-nsp] 3640 Flash Upgrade

Travis td at travisdangel.com
Mon Feb 25 00:24:38 EST 2008

I purchased 2 new flash SIMMs to upgrade a 3640 from 8MB to 32MB and I'm
having trouble getting them to work. I'm to the point now where I'm thinking
they are just for the wrong platform but I'm seeking advice before I attempt
to have them exchanged in case I'm missing something.

When the router boots with the new flash SIMMs in I get the following
errors:

unknown flash device - mandev code = 0xffff

cannot read flash info

getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero

unknown flash device - mandev code = 0xffff

cannot read flash info

getdevnum warning: device "flash" has size of zero

open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0

trouble reading device magic number

boot: cannot open "flash:"

and then it dumps me to rommon. When I try to copy an image over via Xmodem
it responds with insufficient space for the ios image after it tries to
erase the flash and won't even let me start the transfer.

The odd thing is I can put in ONE 16MB SIMM in the second flash socket and
leave the original 8MB SIMM in the first socket and the router boots just
fine and shows 24MB of flash memory. If I replace that 8MB and use BOTH 16MB
SIMMs then it dumps the above error. Same result if I try just one of 16MB
in the first socket alone - dumps errors and shows 0 bytes on the flash.

I read some very dated solution to a similar problem where a somebody had
done some partitioning to make it work but I can't seem to get that to work
either. however, I've never played with flash partitioning in IOS either so
I could be doing something wrong. I booted with the 8MB in the first slot
and the new 16MB in the second slot. I then created 2 new partitions, one
that was 8MB and one that was 16MB and then copied the boot files to the
16MB partition so the 8 and 16 were equal, however, it did not work. I got
the same errors upon boot when I tried the 16MB all by itself again.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Travis