[c-nsp] Redistribution BGP/OSPF best practice

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 09:26:51 EST 2008

--- On Mon, 2/25/08, Nathan <have.an.email at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the best practice solution to this problem?
> Preferably one
> that lets me stop redistributing BGP into OSPF; am I
> correct in
> thinking that that was a bad idea to begin with, and that
> there is no
> good reason to do it?

You are correct in this.  Mutual redistribution is something which should only be done if it's the only solution to a problem set.  BGP has enough metric knobs that you should be able to make the preferred paths match the ones that OSPF would have chosen.  Mutual redistribution is basically "high-wire" networking: it's prone to fail in surprising ways due to subtle misconfigurations or changes in network topology.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com