[c-nsp] 3650G Port security and multicast.

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Feb 26 01:44:49 EST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:30:08PM +0000, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> many thanks for the explanation - I'll now have to have a look at
> some nets that I've got which dont have multicast enabled but
> are happily doing IPv6 - i'm slightly confused!  :-)

As this is just link-layer multicast, normally you do not need to enable
anything specifically - the switches will treat it as broadcast, and things
will work.

It will only start giving problems if "smart" devices decide they need
to handle multicast "in a special way" and mess with it.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de