[c-nsp] Load balancing outbound traffic with BGP

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Wed Feb 27 10:27:18 EST 2008

Quoting Matyas Koszik <koszik at atw.hu>:

> You may want to try
>
> bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax
>
> to achieve load-sharing accross the providers, with different (but equal
> length) as-paths. (Works for me like a charm in a situation similar to
> yours.)

Thanks, but it didn't seem to work for me.  I really should read the
only paper I could find on the Cisco site mentioning it:

   http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/solution/tdprpdgx.pdf

but perhaps I'm using it in an incompatible way:

router bgp xxxx
  no synchronization
  bgp always-compare-med
  bgp log-neighbor-changes
  bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax
  bgp bestpath compare-routerid
  bgp dampening

Gert is right, I wasn't actually using localpref, but MED, since MED
is considered after path length whereas localpref before.  localpref
overrides path length, which indeed is way too powerful.  The shorter
path should usually win.

Cheers,

Jeff C.