[c-nsp] l2tpv3 question

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Feb 28 07:28:50 EST 2008

Paul Stewart <> wrote on Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:08 PM:

> Is there anyway with l2tpv3 to map point to multipoint service?  What
> I'm really looking for is to replace an existing VPN configuration
> with TLS type service but I don't believe l2tpv3 is going to do what
> I want..
>
> Basically, one hub site (Cisco 2811) and 8 remote sites (Cisco 1811)
> with routed connections in between.  In perfect world, would like to
> see if there is anyway to create one large LAN between all locations.
> Obviously today, each site has their own internal IP space that is
> separate and to date I have done static routing over the tunnels -
> and being a Windows based network we utilize WINS for mapping.   On
> the core IP network, there is no MPLS features ;)

You can implement BGP Layer 3 VPNs (i.e. 2547bis) over L2TPv3 in more of
less the same way (except for the transport) as MPLS-VPNs. However,
platform/release support of this is limited, currently you can only do
this in 12.0S.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/csgl3vpn.html
has more information on this.

	oli