[c-nsp] MTU size with EoMPLS

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Feb 29 14:18:41 EST 2008

Hi Jose,

You need to enable large MTU on the core facing interfaces on both
sides, and on all interfaces on the core routers. The interfaces that
have LDP enabled is no bad guess.

You can raise the interface MTU with the "mtu X" interface config
command. If you don't specify any "mpls mtu X" command it will follow
the interface MTU. Don't adjust "mpls mtu" unless you have a good
reason.

You would need 1518 bytes Ethernet + 4 bytes 802.1Q (if that's your
protocol) and 4+ bytes MPLS (depending on how many labels you stack).
I'm not sure the 1811 supports baby giants/jumbo frames, but you can try
at least. I've seen a value of 1546 used often, although I don't know
exactly why. :-)

Regards,
Peter