[c-nsp] Scheduling daily reload

Eric Helm helmwork at ruraltel.net
Tue Jan 1 22:13:23 EST 2008

Roland Dobbins wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Aaron R wrote:
>
>> The issue is more to do with the ISP making configuration changes at
>> their
>> end every now and then which causes the routers to hang
>
> I'm just trying to understand what sort of configuration changes at
> the upstream's end would cause the routers (theirs or yours?) to stop
> forwarding packets, such that a reboot on your end would be required
> and would resolve the issue?  How do you know that this is the issue,
> is this what they have told you?

I've seen this happen with PPPoX connections when either the ISP makes a
config change that causes the BRAS to disconnect the PPP session and for
whatever reason the CPE doesn't receive the disconnect message so the
PPP session remains active and thus never re-negotiates a new session.
I've also seen similar issues on connections that have a poor local loop
(packet loss due to link errors), PPPoE over wireless last mile, etc.

/Eric