[c-nsp] Non-cisco product integration into CISCO

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Fri Jan 4 04:09:46 EST 2008

On 04/01/2008, at 8:02 PM, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> On Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 04:40:11PM +0800, Dracul wrote:
>> interface FastEthernet0/14
>> switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
>> switchport trunk native vlan 100
>> switchport mode trunk
>> switchport nonegotiate
>> end
>>
>> There are two VLANs used in the network VLAN 1 and VLAN 100. what
>> we are
>> looking at is the VLAN 100
>
> So you're trying to put the Amino STB in VLAN 100? Try this instead:
>
> interface FastEthernet0/14
>  switchport mode access
>  switchport access vlan 100
>  spanning-tree portfast
>
> At the moment you've got it configured as a trunk port, with non-
> tagged frames
> being put in vlan 100. Whilst this shouldn't cause a problem, you
> can simplify
> it by configuring it as an access port instead.
>
> Simon

I was about to ask if he could get away with running it as an access
port, but he spcifically mentioned trunking, so I was of the
impression that he needed both VLANs trunked to the box.

Otherwise yes, if he needs it *only* in VLAN 100, setting it up as a
trunk port will do. But my guess is theres another reason that a
second VLAN is neccessary, e.g. Internet access which is provided via
a seperate VLAN.