[c-nsp] 6500 - SUP720 - IOS - traffic problem

Gabriel Mateiciuc mgabi at ase.ro
Sat Jan 5 13:58:40 EST 2008

Hello jay,

First of all, thanks for the patience of reading and explaining all this.
Unfortunately I was already aware of the facts that you've laid here.

Normally, I would say the same things you've explained here, but . and
there's a but, there are some more empirical observations:

We've had previous experience with a 6500-SUP2 (no fabric) that could hit
80-90% bus utilization without packet loss/drops.

About a month ago we were using 12.2(18)SXF3 IOS and we went to
12.2(18)SXF12. In the process we noticed the packet loss that occurs at peak
hours, so at first we blamed the IOS and we started digging for solutions.

Analyzing the trends revealed that the single difference is the bus
utilization that rose from between 50-60% to 70-80%

Comparing to 6 months ago:

Then: 3,4-3,5 gbit/s on each of the 4 backbone links (port-channels of 4
gbit each) - less clients - bus 50-60% - IOS SXF3

Now: congestion loss on the bb links 2,5-3 gbit/s at peak hours - more
clients connected to the classic cards - bus 70-80% - IOS SXF12

I've made some test like moving 2 of the 4 links on the supervisor from one
Portchannel - that seemed to solve the problem for that po link.

Putting another fabric-enabled card and moving some of the links there would
solve the problem so I'm sure the bus is not hitting the limit. Then again,
that doesn't answer why the 6724 seems uneffective.

So, getting to the very problem, some previous experience with
port-channels, balancing algorithms, high-traffic, not-recommended
configuration options unless advised by tac, not documented IOS bugs . I
think the answer would be amongst these.

PS: I've read the caveats for the IOS we're using now . and there seems to
be no link with the problems we're having.