[c-nsp] STP to L2 FTTx gear

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Jan 7 12:25:21 EST 2008

Morning, Eric.  Did you folks finally thaw out up there?  We didn't get
nearly as much weather as you got these past few weeks.  We narrowly
escaped the ice too.  Good thing.

I'd figured out why they translated our VLAN IDs.  It seems like they
could find another way to accomplish that though, even if it was more
config intensive.  It will work though.

I read the whitepaper before we brought them in for the dog & pony show.
  Unfortunately Flex-Link isn't an option in our environment (nor is it
in many others) simply because it isn't multichassis-aware.  We're
touching the Occam switches from a pair 7600s for redundancy.
Connecting the Occam switches to a single chassis doesn't meet out
redundancy needs.

STP will work though and in fact it is now working.  Phil was right.
There was a VLAN crossed in the Occam switches.  I found it this
morning.  We changed our VLAN plan during the deployment and apparently
we didn't change one of the Occam switches to match.  Now that we have
STP working I'll experiment with STP's rapid cousins to see how quickly
we can make it fail-over.  I wish we had UDLD support; that would
greatly help speed up L2 failure discovery.  We'll just have to make due
without it.

Thanks for all the input
   Justin