[c-nsp] 7604/sup32

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Tue Jan 8 10:45:11 EST 2008

So, I'm looking at the cisco web pages and I see the 7600 is
pushed big-time as a service provider edge device, and yet I see
that the sup32-3b has a 300Mhz processor, and so it is not
much faster than an NPE-300 (262Mhz).

I stopped taking full routes on NPE-300 equipment a couple of
years ago, moving to an npe-g1.   So, what's the scoop with
the 7600/sup32-3b?    It seems like a step back to me, other than
the 8 built-in gigE ports.

I'm looking at an application where the box would push a total of
about 1Gbs over two gigE upstreams.  It would have two gigE internal
neighbors, each with full bgp routes... so four full tables.  I'm
concerned about the issue of traceroutes looking bad as they pass
through the box (which confuses EndUsers), due to the cpu load
from the bgp scanner.

Thanks,
-mark