[c-nsp] MPLS hardware

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Thu Jan 10 02:56:16 EST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Hi there.
>

> We're still investigating MPLS into our network and current thought is to
> support VPLS across our core - this leads to questions on the Cisco 6500's
> with Sup2/MSFC2
>

> According to my reading
> (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/mpls_faq_4649.shtml) the Sup2/MSFC2
> can support MPLS but only if used with a FlexWAN card (or an OSM card).
> Presuming that's true, then the document also says you can run Sup720BXL on
> the 6500's and there's no requirement then for a FlexWAN card?  We are
> thinking of using existing 6500's in the role of a P router.

This is true. We used a while ago Sup2/MSFC2 with OSM cards to suport
MPLS. It was working rather well.  We did not test with FlexWAN.
OSM cards are no longer supported. You might opt fo OSM+ cards but I'd
rather go for Sup32 or Sup720.

> So, then we're examining the option of using 7206VXR-NPE-G1 routers as a PE
> router?
>

> We also have a GSR12012 with dual PRP-2 cards - does the GSR make a good P
> or PE router?
>

> I know that's kind of broad but with that hardware in mind (need
> confirmation on the Sup720 statement) then is there any MPLS based features
> and VPLS that we can't perform?  Trying to "futureproof" this a bit before
> rolling it out.. Again, I know that nothing is futureproof.;)

VPLS is only supported with SIP/SPA cards with SUP720 or RSP-720. VPLS
requires extra processing power on ports that SIP/SPA cards have....