[c-nsp] Looking for visually impressive server racks

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Jan 10 07:10:47 EST 2008

Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Hey all,
> Got a customer who is building a server room and it will have glass walls.
> They are into things like animation and so on, and want to have a VERY
> impressive looking comms room on display.
>
> What I am looking for is some rack brand or company that make amazing
> looking racks… I’m talking stainless steel, chrome?, in-built lighting
> perhaps… something that just looks like it’s the room which powers the
> Enterprise kinda thing ;-)
> If anyone knows anyone (worldwide) making/selling this kind of thing… please
> let me know.  For now, lets say cost isn’t much of a factor – wow factor is
> everything.

You could always just buy basic black cabinets and a large quantity of
the sticky-back stainless sheets at Home Depot.  Those are the ones the
DIY or HGTV shows use to make a basic appliance appear to be stainless.
  Beyond that I couldn't tell you.  Dell's are basic.  I have issues
with the fabrication and quality of the Cooper/B-Line cabinets.
Whatever you buy it needs to be wide enough to accommodate vertical wire
management.  It doesn't matter how shiny it is if you have a rainbow of
patchcords dangling out of the back.  Keep it clean from day one.

Justin