[c-nsp] NBAR on 2800

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at kristo.is
Thu Jan 10 08:17:49 EST 2008

Hi list,

I'm looking for words of wisdom on NBAR on the 2800s.  The main link is 100
Mbit/s (at present maxing in 60 Mbit/s bursts, average 30 Mbit/s).  We will
implement a 20 Mbit/s backup link in the next few weeks.  Both links are
delivered as fastethernet links on copper.  We would like to be able to
block P2P, or at least most of the P2P.  We will use a 2821 (currently in
use for the main link without NBAR) for the backup link, which I believe is
more than enough, but I'm a bit puzzled about the main one  It will be a
separate router, the bean counters will push for a 2821, but I believe that
will not be enough.  How about a 2851?

Another thing.  How good is NBAR these days?  I have zero experience with
it.  Can it effectively block P2P?  Can we mark and even prioritize VoIP?
In short: does it work?

Thanks in advance,
Kristo