[c-nsp] BGP long prefix ads

Christoph Loibl c at tix.at
Fri Jan 11 04:56:02 EST 2008

Hi Roman!

On Jan 11, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Roman Bestuzhev wrote:

> I am thinking about load balancing between both ISPs. I have read
> about a
> technique when you divide your block to several pieces, for example
> to two
> /22 blocks and advertise one of them to one ISP and other block to
> another
> ISP and at the same time advertise whole prefix to both ISPs, /21
> in this
> case. This leads to getting incoming traffic trough both providers
> and you
> can control which subnets in your AS connect to Internet trough
> which ISP.

Network equipment manufacturer may like this approach as this pushes
the market demand for new routing-hardware as the full internet
routing table increases dramatically (and old equipment may not be
able to handle that size of routingtables anymore). ISPs generally
won't be so happy with that (but mostly already replaced their
equipment, or found ways around - see also the threads "internet
routingtable already too large for sup720-3b, sup2, ..." on this list).

But to answer your question:

> My question: is this scheme used widely and would this scheme work
> well in
> real Internet for /22 prefixes, for /23? For example, is there any

When you look at the current internet routing-table you may find many
of those more-specific announcements. In general this will work in
the internet (depending on where/how you connect).

> possibility to loose connectivity to some parts of Internet in case of
> filtering of long prefixes by Internet Providers? Are there other
> drawbacks
> of this?

You should make sure to announce the /22 aggregate all the time, and
additionally inject those more specific, if you want to make sure
that even when your more specific routes get filtered, your network
is reachable. But I would not suggest that approach for the reason
mentioned above. The stability of whole network does not increase
when we have more routes (but I can't prove that it decreases either).

> Thanks in advance for any ideas and advises,

Did you ever think about simply not prepending your AS to the backup-
provider? This may also lead to ("some") incoming traffic taking the
backup-connection while not adding any additional routes to the
internet-routing table. But this approach depends very much on the
connectivity of you network-providers you are not able to control
which destinations within your network are reachable via which of
your network-providers. Anyway I would suggest to give it a try
first. It may do the job for you.

Stoffi

--
mailto:c at tix.at   |No trees were killed in the creation of this message.