[c-nsp] TCP Throughput / MTU problem ? with Cisco 7304 and MPLS VPN's

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Jan 12 12:55:04 EST 2008

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Peter Rathlev wrote:
>
>> But you still can't (shouldn't) use an interface MTU lower that the MPLS
>> MTU. Your interface MTU should be larger than the "X" MTU for any "X".
>
> Why?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6566/products_feature_guide09186a0080629db0.html

"This document explains the the behavior of the mpls mtu command in
  Cisco IOS Release 12.2(27)SBC, 12.2(33)SRA, 12.4(11)T, 12.2(33)SXH,
  and later releases. You cannot set the MPLS MTU value larger than the
  interface MTU value. This eliminates problems, such as dropped
  packets, data corruption, and high CPU rates from occurring when
  MPLS MTU value settings are larger than interface MTU values."

--
"Don't expect me to cry for all the     |               Łukasz Bromirski
  reasons you had to die" -- Kurt Cobain |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net