[c-nsp] 6748 compatibility with the 7600/RSP720 series.

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jan 14 14:21:23 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 12:01 -0500, sf at lists.esoteric.ca wrote:
> I'm looking at the 7600/RSP720 series, and I'm wondering if there are any
> "gotchas" or issues with the 6748GE line-card?  I need the port density,
> so the SPA/SIP's do not meet my needs.

The WS-X6748-GE-TX is a LAN card, so you can't really compare it to
SPAs. If you need more advanced features than just switching (and what
the PFC gives you), and still need to port density, you should look at
the Ethernet Services modules instead, like ES20-GE3C. It gives you 20
GigabitEthernet ports (SFP) and PXF processing.

But anyway, the 6748 is an okay switching card. It's only a little
oversubscribed (48 GB downlink, 40 GB fabric connection) and optionally
comes with a DFC3C. If you don't need things like traffic shaping, VPLS
and so on, it's okay. :-)

Regards,
Peter