[c-nsp] L2TP/IPSEC VPN for MS Windows PCs

Church, Charles cchurc05 at harris.com
Wed Jan 16 11:40:33 EST 2008

I haven't used the L2TP, but have used the PPTP before.  Assuming
they've got the same functionality, I believe this is what you'd be
missing by not using the Cisco client:

Ability to display a banner
Ability to do split tunneling (some subnets are reachable over VPN,
everything else doesn't use VPN)
Better DNS resolution options
Ability to allow/disallow saving of password
Encryption algorithms other than DES

This is all from memory from a couple years ago.  Not sure if anything
has changed.  But I remember trying the MS way for a week, and gave up.

Chuck Church
Principal Network Engineer, CCIE #8776
Harris Information Technology Services
EDS Contractor - Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI)
1210 N. Parker Rd. | Greenville, SC 29609
Office: 864-335-9473 | Cell: 864-266-3978